Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sugar Glazed Walnuts

Today's recipe:

SUGAR GLAZED NUTS




1/2 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 c. nuts, pecans or walnuts
Microwave on high 1 minute in 1 1/2 quart dish. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Microwave 2 minutes, on high. Mix well. Add nuts and mix to coat. Microwave on high 3-5 minutes. Spread onto wax paper to cool.


I soaked the Walnuts for 24 hours in salt water then dried them in my dehydrator, to get rid of any bothersome enzymes. Instead of brown sugar I used rapadura, which is raw cane sugar. One teaspoon of the stuff has 11% of your daily iron, doesn't that make you feel better about eating sugar?








After all the trouble getting organic ingredients and soaking the nuts, it did seem wrong to cook these in the microwave, but it sure was easy.






Review: These were easy and yummy, but way too sweet for me. Next time I'll have to try them with Stevia or Splenda, and maybe some spices.


And, we have a new kitchen gadget today!




I've been using a plastic (gasp) microwave steamer, today I got a nice old fashioned stainless steel one to steam veggies on the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment